Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against blood vessel walls. The heart pumps blood into the arteries (blood vessels), which carry the blood throughout the body. High blood pressure, also call HYPERTENSION, is dangerous because it makes the heart work harder to pump blood to the body and it contributes to the hardening of the arteries or atherosclerosis. There are several categories of blood pressure:
*Normal: Less than 120/80
*Stage 1 Hypertension: 140-159/90-99
*Stage 2 Hypertension: 160 and above/100 and above
One of the simplest and most effective ways to lower your blood pressure is to eat a healthy diet.
Doctors recommend the following:
* Eating more fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods
* Cutting back on foods that are high in saturated fat, cholesterol and total fat
* Eating more whole grain products, fish, poultry and nuts
* Eating less red meat and sweets
* Eating foods that are rich in magnesium, potassium, and calcium
* Losing weight if you are overweight
* Quitting or significantly reducing smoking
Diabetic Meal Programs is committed to providing you with a diet meal plan and enhancing your nutritional health by providing you with delicious, low fat, low sodium meals and our food delivery service, which delivers right to your door.
"Wow. . . The Tex-Mex meals are better then most of your local Tex-Mex restaurant chains. You have to try!!!"~ Greg P.